STEP BY STEP UMRAH GUIDE:
Your pious journey to Umrah begins here! As we all are well aware of the fact that there are many apprehensions in the mind of people when they plan their pilgrimage for Hajj and Umrah for the first time. I hope after reading this Umrah guide, you will get acquainted with the detail, procedure, and steps to perform Umrah and all your worries and doubts will fade away. You can then book cheap Umrah packages, without any second thought in mind.
1. Prior To Setting Off From Home
- Make Ghusl (complete body wash)
- Trim your nails and remove the pubic hair
- Before setting off from home, make sure to perform the Salah, which is due at the time of travel.
- 2 Rakaats of travel Salah should be read before leaving.
While leaving the house/hotel, say:-
(In the name of Allaah, I place my trust in Allaah, and there is no might nor power except with Allaah)
- Read the Dua’a of traveling, before setting off in a vehicle.
(Allaah is the greatest x3, How perfect He is, The One Who has placed this (transport) at our service, and we ourselves would not have been capable of that, and to our Lord if our final destiny.)
- At the journey break, one may say:-
(I take refuge in Allaah’s perfect words from the evil that He has created.)
Keep yourself in the remembrance of Allah, during your journey (make dua, make dhikr, read Quran, read Islamic books etc). This is the beginning of your journey to the house of Allah, remember you are His guest. Feel gratified and privileged for the same.
- At the time of traveling when the next Salah is due, one can combine and shorten them as this is a relaxation from Allah. The combination could be as under;
-Dhur (2 Rakaats) & Asr (2 Rakaats) together.
-Maghrib (3 Rakaats) & Ishaa (2 Rakaats) together.
-Sunnah/Nawafil could be read as many times as one wish.
2. Entering The State Of Ihram (Before Passing The Meeqat)
When an Umrah aspirant makes Niyyah (intention) to do Umrah and utters the Talbiyah, certain things that are halaal (permitted) for him become haraam (forbidden). Niyyah and Talbiyah are then together called Ihram. Although the two sheets of cloth worn by Pilgrims on the Hajj and Umrah journey are known as Ihram, but without making the Niyyah and uttering the Talbiyah, wearing the Ihram has no significance.
- After one of the 5 daily Salah (prayers), men come in the state of Ihram(wearing the two sheets of white cloth).
- Make Niyyah (intention) for Umrah
(Here I am O Allah making ‘Umraah)
If one has a doubt of falling ill or being subjected to any ailment that might get in the way of your holy pilgrimage one may just cut their hair and add the following Duaa at the place from where they are unable to continue his journey:
(I come out of the state of Ihraam from the place You prevent me from continuing)
- Make the Talbiyah ( men with raised voice), and continue making the Talbiyah until you reach the holy Kaabah and begin the Tawaf (circumambulation of Kabaah)
(Here I am, O Allah, here I am. Here I am. You have no partner. Here I am. Surely all praise, grace, and dominion is yours, and you have no partner.)
3. Entering Masjid Al Haram
- Entry is to be made with the right foot.
- Perform Duaa of the Masjid
(In the name of Allaah! O Allaah! Exalt the mention of your Messenger. O Allaah! Forgive my sins, and open the gates of Your mercy for me)
4. Tawaf (7 Times Around The Kabaah) – One Must Be In Wudu (Ablution)
The right shoulder of men has to be left bare while performing the Tawaf, this is called the Idtiba’a.
After the Tawaf is completed men are required to cover both the shoulders.
- Begin at the Black Stone:
Kiss it if you can do so or otherwise touch it with the right hand. If not possible, face towards the black stone and point towards it with the right hand.
- Utter Bismillah, Allahu Akbar before kissing or before /while touching or pointing towards it.
- For men, walk quickly during the first three rounds of Tawaf, and normally during the other 4 rounds.
- Once reaching the Yamani corner, either (a)Touch it with the right hand but do not kiss it, and say Bismillah Allahu Akbar, OR (b) continue without gesturing or saying anything, if not able to touch it.
- From the Yamani corner, till the black stone recite:
(Our Lord, grant us good in this life and good in the hereafter and save us from the punishment of the Hellfire. [Quran; 2:201])
- Your one round is complete once you return back to the black stone. Repeat the above steps 6 more times.
5. Proceed To Maqaam-E-Ibraaheem After Completing Tawaf
- The verse to be recited is:
(And take you (people) the Maqaam (place) of Ibraheem as a place of Prayer. [Quran; 2:125])
- Behind the Maqaam-e-Ibraheem, pray two short Rak’ahs. If not possible, pray them anywhere in the sacred mosque i.e. masjid ul haraam.
During the first Rak’ah, reciting the Surah Al-Kafiroon (after Surah Al Fatiha) is preferred and during the second Rak’ah, Surah Al-Ikhlaaqs (after Surah Al Fatiha) is preferred.
6. Going To Zam Zam Well
- Make a Duaa prior to drinking
- Drink the Zam Zam water
- Pour the Zam Zam water over your head
- Now, return to the Black Stone, touch it with the right hand as earlier. In case if it is not possible/convenient, then do not do anything and proceed to the Sai.
7. Seven Circuits Of Sai’e (As – Safaa and Al – Marwah)
- Wudhu is highly recommended but not mandatory.
- As prescribed for all Masajid, this is to be said as you leave the boundary of the Masjid:
(In the name of Allah, and prayers and peace be upon the Messenger of Allaah. O Allaah, I ask You from Your favour. O Allaah, guard against the accursed devil.)
- On approaching Mount Safaa, this Ayaat is recited
(Verily, As-Safaa and Al-Marwah are amongst the symbols of Allaah. So it is not a sin on him who performs Hajj or ‘Umrah of the house (ka ‘bah) to perform the going (tawaaf) between them. And whoever does good voluntarily, then verily, Allaah is the All-Recognizer, All-Knower. [Quran; 2:158])
(Indeed Safa and Marwah are from the places of worship of Allaah…’ ‘I begin with what Allaah began with.)
- Afterwards, ascend upon Mount Safaa, face the holy Qiblah, raise both your hands and recite 3 times:
(Allaah is the Greatest, Allaah is the Greatest, Allaah is the Greatest.)
(There is nothing worthy of worship except Allah, Alone. He has no partner, To Him belongs the kingdom, & all praise belongs to Him, & He has power above all things, There is nothing worthy of worship except Allah, He fulfilled His promise, Granted victory to His servant, And alone He defeated the allied army.)
- Now, you praise Allah, send the Salaam upon Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) and then make as much personal Du’as as one wishes to. Pray for yourself and for others too.
- Descend from Mount Safaa and go walking towards Mount Marwah.
- Reaching the green sign, men have to walk fast but not run. From the next green sign, they have to return to their normal walking pace.
- Once you reach Mount Marwah, repeat the same procedure as while climbing the Mount Safaa (face the Qibla, raise your hands and recite again what was said on Mount Safaa). This completes one circuit of Sai. Continue and complete total 7 circuits like this, finishing the last one on Mount Marwah. You have come all the way so far away, open your heart, rejoice in His name and make the Duaa.
Note:- There are no specific duas / supplications that should be recited between Safa Marwa. It is up to the pilgrim to worship and praise Allah in his own words or he/she may also recite portions from the Quran.
8. On Completion Of Sai’e, Trim/Cut The Hair
- It is prescribed for men to shave all their hair, but they can also trim it.
- Women are required to cut their hair by a fingertip.
Hence, all Ihraam rules are followed and Umrah is completed here forth. A pilgrim/pilgrims are out of the state of Ihraam with all the Ihraam rules being lifted. May Allah accept your Umrah and shower his choicest blessings upon you.
Without any further delay book cheap Umrah flights and set off to this holy pilgrimage of the lifetime. We hope this Umrah guide will benefit you in preparing for the holy trip to the blessed House of Allah.Moreover, if you are interested to know about how to perform hajj please go through the link as provided.
Note: For more information or clarification, it is advised to consult a religious scholar.